Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Brave New World

Obama has won the White House and the world stands poised for change. Or at least, I stand poised for change. I've now been in New Brunswick for 14 days with little more to show for it than a waning bank account. But no matter, there has to be something good to do around here.

To pass the time, I've been searching for jobs and walking around this industrially inflated hamlet known as central New Jersey. The leaves are turning colors and falling off the trees, students brave the streets clad in various sweatshirts and ugg boots, and life moves along.

The prospect of getting out of bed before 10:30 AM seems alluring and simultaneously impossible. Tomorrow I await a potential employer's phone call which may or may not come. If it does, life will change and my impecunity will be lessened. If not, hell, at least I'll be home for thanksgiving.

I believe tonight for dinner I shall make feijoada, brown rice, and mango avocado salsa. One great thing about living in this part of the world is that no one seems to know how to pick an avocado, so all the ones in the supermarkets are ripened to perfection. That could also be from reasons of proximity. We're not in Watsonville anymore, Toto.

No comments: