Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pilgrim's Progress

A while ago, before embarking on my journey across the country, I decided that once I got to my destination, instead of directly looking for work, I'd spruce up all the beautiful raised beds that adorn the far side of the driveway at my father's beautiful Northern California home. Being excited at the prospect, I started telling everyone I encountered of my plans for the future.


"Oh yeah, my dad's got these great raised beds that'd be perfect for vegetables. I think he has five or six of them, maybe 4 feet by 8 feet each, and they haven't been touched for years. I'll spend a few weeks doing that and then I'll apply for jobs."

Hoo boy. I drastically overestimated the depth perception in my own memory. The beds are definitely 4 feet by 8 feet, but there are approximately 14 of them in various stages of overgrowth.






But, hey! That just means more room for delicious vegetables and beautiful flowers!






So I got some new shit-kickers.....





and started off. By the end of the first day, I was moving right along. The two little beds next to the grape arbor were to be sacrificed: the soil to other beds, the wood to a compost box, and the space to perhaps cultivate a nice spot for sitting under the grape leaves, on some sunny, far-off afternoon.

I'm glad I started out small. Getting two done in one day felt like a major accomplishment!






Before and after!




Woo! Fast forward to a week later: three of the 4x8 foot monsters had been cleared, tilled, and covered in newspaper, waiting to be planted with nature's bounty. A quick trip to the Harmony Farm Supply and Nursery in Sebastopol and I was all ready to go with mustard, kale, cabbage, spinach, broccoli, two types of garlic, shallots, and onions. After a long and exciting day of experimentation and planting, here was the result.


My fantastic handyman dad helped me out by making the lovely hogwire fence for keepin' out the critters. I wish it kept out slugs too, I understand they really like cabbage and broccoli. By the way, those two box-like things in the background were the little beds cleared out on the first day. Can't wait to get compostin'!

So here we go again! I have almost no prior gardening experience, so this should be a glorious experiment. I can already smell the shallots sizzling in olive oil, waiting to be paired with mustard, spinach, and garlic and served over polenta cakes fried in brown butter. Remind me to plant some sage. And some tomatoes. And some chardonnay.

The adventure continues! Even after this extremely satisfying day, more overgrown possibility looms on the horizon. And I just can't wait to get back!!!!


No comments: